Thursday, August 9, 2012

Little Yellow butterfly

That title is not a description but rather a rare Connecticut species. Frank Gallo and some of his summer campers from the Coastal Center at Milford Point captured this photo of a Little Yellow butterfly at Silver Sands State Park recently.


The vagrant species is most often found in our state in late summer into early fall. Some years have many more individuals than others. They will sometimes lay eggs in the open and sandy areas they favor, and Silver Sands fits their habitat well. I have been waiting to find one of these at Stratford Point, or a Cloudless Sulphur.

What I did find was my own Giant Swallowtail as many more people have since I posted about the species and it being sighted across the state. My sighting was in my yard in Stratford, the butterfly checking out a variety of bushes and flying nearly within arm's reach as I was outside with my sheltie. He loves butterflies and odonates, and certainly enjoys bounding after (but not catching!) the little ones. If only he had seen that monster flying by...

I actually had a net in hand at the time as I was attempting to snag a Clamp-tipped Emerald flying around, but I did not go after the swallowtail as it continued on its way. This is a great time of year for butterflies - keep checking your yard for any of these rarities or more!


Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician


Photo © Frank Gallo and not to be reproduced without explicit permission

No comments:

Post a Comment