This has been an incredible winter for Snowy Owl sightings in our area. Connecticut Audubon Society is looking to you to help us celebrate and raise awareness of these beautiful birds.
Here's how to enter:
Submit a photo, video, or written piece about your experience. Bonus points will be given for creativity! At the end of the season, we will pick a $300 grand prize winner and two $100 honorable mentions. Just post your submission to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using the #CTSnowyOwl hashtag!
When you use #CTSnowyOwl, your post will automatically be published on our website.
Here are some Tips & Guidelines:
- Don't forget to include where and when you saw the bird.
- If you're submitting a photo, don't limit yourself to close-ups: a shot of a landscape with a Snowy Owl in the distance would be great too! The photo above would be a perfect entry. Anthony Zemba, our director of conservation services, took it in December at Stratford Point.
- If you haven't seen a Snowy yet, it's not too late. Snowies have been seen across our shoreline, including at our Milford Point Coastal Center; the beaches and marshes in Stratford; Long Wharf in New Haven; and Great Island in Old Lyme.
- It is very important that you take photos from afar, to avoid disturbing the birds. The best locations are often where you see other birders gathering to observe.
- If you're not a social media user, you can email your submission to email@example.com, and we will post your submission for you.
Thank you, and good luck! Remember: #CTSnowyOwl!