Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Identify this silhouette answer

Have you been able to come up with an answer as to what the silhouette in this post is? Here is the photo once again.


The first hint that I provided was that it was taken this month. October can be a good time to find the species in Connecticut as it is a rarity for our state, and that is your second hint. Your third hint is that I took the photo at Stratford Point (think of the habitat present there - coastal grasslands, scattered trees and shrubs, lots of weeds and small plants of various types, etc.). My fourth and final hint would be to really examine the profile of the head and to note the massive bill.

Does that help at all? The photo I showed you was the actual photograph that I took near dawn. However, I took this photo and lightened it up, greatly reducing the quality but really improving what you can see.


What do you think of it now? It is a Blue Grosbeak! That huge bill is still the most obvious mark to me, and while it resembles an Indigo Bunting, that sets it apart. The head and tail are also rather large and in the case of the latter, long, and it has a couple of rufous wingbars as well that are so bright you can even see them in this enhanced photo. I never saw it again after I took this shot as it hid in the weeds and shrubs along the edge of the property.


Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
 
Photos © Scott Kruitbosch and not to be reproduced without explicit permission

No comments:

Post a Comment