Sunday, October 24, 2010

Stratford Point Grasshopper Sparrow

Earlier this afternoon I was conducting a typical survey of Stratford Point when I found a Grasshopper Sparrow. It was hanging out with some Savannah and Song Sparrow, as well as an American Pipit, at the end of our driveway as it goes towards Long Island Sound. The spot has surplus rocks from repairing the damaged seawall. We left them here intentionally to attract birds, from Snow Bunting to something rare like Northern Wheatear. I snapped a couple poor photos of it.





They can be so elusive...even after you have discovered one. It seemed to like the rocks as well, hopping on them while feeding - for only a second when I was nearby, but of course pausing for a bit longer when I was further away. This was the second time I have had the Connecticut endangered species in Stratford this year. Perhaps, with southerly winds and a poor night of migration ahead, it will be at Stratford Point on Monday. Come visit us to see if you can spot it!



Photos © Scott Kruitbosch

No comments:

Post a Comment