Saturday, April 23, 2011

The early bird gets caught in the net

I stopped by our Birdcraft Museum and Sanctuary early one morning last week to find that the banding station was up and running and getting some fantastic birds. They had caught not only one of the early Prairie Warblers, but a Nashville Warbler as well. That Nashville Warbler was the first for the state of Connecticut in 2011. I am a field guy, and while I have been around for and helped out with bird banding on multiple occasions, I am rarely there for warblers. It never ceases to amaze me how tiny they are in the hand. Nevertheless, this photo I took may make it look huge...



I did not want to hold this bird for any longer than it had to be, but you can see all the beautiful features. Note the striking yellow throat and breast, a green sort of color on the wings and back, the gray head, and of course the bold and full white eye-ring. Do you see one more feature? The small brown-ish cap that is barely visible in the gray on the top of the head. You will only see it in the field if you get a very close look.
Visit Birdcraft soon to witness the banding operation.

I once had a Nashville Warbler come over for Thanksgiving dinner...well, it came to the bird feeders in my yard on Thanksgiving, so that is close enough. That was not normal, but more of the species will likely be seen this weekend in Connecticut. I hope some of you get to have one stop by for Easter.



Photo © Scott Kruitbosch

No comments:

Post a Comment