Sunday, April 24, 2011

Gazebophil's Purple Martins reporting for duty. In Iraq!

Every once in a while we receive a message from the public that just has to be shared with as many people as possible. Today we heard from Glenda Wolfe, who is watching the Purple Martin cameras of our good friend GazeboPhil from her post in Iraq:

I am an active duty Soldier, currently stationed in Iraq, as part of the combat stress control team. I can't tell you how great it has been the last few weeks, to check in to your webcam, in anticipation of the arrival of a nesting pair of these beautiful and interesting birds. And how exciting it is to watch them begin to set up house in the gourd. I love to hear the whole flock- my CHU (Combat Housing Unit) is filled with their songs. I have sent the site to my team members and am certain they are watching in wonder, as well. I will be giving it to many of our stressed out soldiers, too. It is a very wholesome, relaxing and stress-reducing activity! Thank you for setting this up! I am eager to follow the progression from setting up house, to flight of the fledgelings!

These birds have traveled thousands of miles to reach their current summer homes in Connecticut, which is a bit of a miracle in itself. However, the fact that that these Purple Martin's daily antics travel this far and affect people so profoundly is amazing!

Check them out for yourself and be amazed too: http://www.gazebophil.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment